Steam Tank
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new player question

+2
Legion of Hufferblight
tekone6966
6 posters

Go down

new player question Empty new player question

Post  tekone6966 Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:07 am

my son wants to start playing warmachine he is 13 but he dont know what to use. i run khador and he like cygnar,cryx, and the retribution. what would you guys recommend for a younger new player to start out with.

tekone6966

Back to top Go down

new player question Empty Re: new player question

Post  Legion of Hufferblight Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:44 am

Do you live near the Findlay area? The reason I ask this is there will be a tournement on March the 24th at The Dueling Grounds. Not sure of the address but I can get it if you want. At the last tournement we had there was a good selection of different armies, from both Hordes and Warmachine. The two of you can stop by, check out other aspects of the game. Many of the players there dont mind answering questions.

The only army I would suggest against starting out with, and I made this mistake, is starting with mercenaries. I found it limiting and hard to play in the beginning. Under the choices you have posted here i would say Cygnar. They are a very shooty army and easy to wrap your head around. Cryx is known for its dirty tricks and magic. A little daunting in the beginning, and the last Retribution of Scyrah is more of an infantry army with few warjacks to choose from, and they are heavy on the 'jack Marshaling units. All are good, but in a nutshell I would say Cygnar.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.
Laters
Legion of Hufferblight
Legion of Hufferblight

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Aletheia Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:00 am

Howdy. I believe we met on the PP forums?

Just as a reminder, we play every Thursday night (6-10 PM) at the Dueling Grounds in Findlay OH (441 East Sandusky Street, Findlay, OH). We also have the occasional SteamRoller tournament and will have one on March 24 at the DG with the sign-in starting at 2 PM.

As to your questions, I would ideally recommend that your son play Khador. I could be wrong, but I've always thought that their insanely high ARM values are much more forgiving for new players. If you don't want him playing the same faction that you do, out of the choices you've given, I'd recommend Cygnar. I play them and their long ranged firepower and versatility makes them hard hitting without being too complex. I'd steer him away from Cryx; although you can make a beat down list, they are really about the tricksey assassination-run armies which take a lot of patience and planning to pull off. I simply don't know enough about Retribution to give advice (no one plays them around here and I personally think their models look too much like anime to fit into the world, but ymmv).
Dark Aletheia
Dark Aletheia

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Aletheia Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:06 am

It would also be awesome if you might write a bit about yourself and your son in the "Introduction" forum (at the very top of the main section).
Dark Aletheia
Dark Aletheia

Back to top Go down

Post  GregB Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:44 am

Indeed the Khador army is reliable and forgiving.

Plus the Starter box is easier to glue and with less tricky things to remember. It's a straight forward army that will remain interesting as he grows up. Cool
GregB
GregB

Back to top Go down

Post  Splinter Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Of those three, I think Cygnar would be the easiest faction to wrap your head around. Both Cryx and Retribution have a lot of models with special abilities or mechanics that take awhile to really learn how to use well, and until you do, those models can be very weak. That being said, I think each faction has beginner friendly models that would allow anyone to start playing that faction. I think where the complexity comes in to play is expanding the faction and really learning to play to each factions strengths.

For example, I can play a very ranged heavy or tricksy Khador if I include the right pieces, its just harder for me to do that than it is for Cygnar and Cryx. Cygnar can bring enough armor and straight forward power to make even Khador jealous, but its just not as easy to do as it is in Khador.

If you're son doesn't have an army that he really likes the look of and you don't feel the need to buy the army right away, I'm sure if you could make it up to the Dueling Grounds one day we have some players who would be happy to demo some of the armies so he can get a feel of which he likes best. Unfortunately, we don't have any regular retribution players but pretty much every other factions is represented somewhere.

Splinter

Back to top Go down

Post  Splinter Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:02 pm

Also, another forum had a poll online to find which faction was least complex. There wasn't a very big sample size, but their poll looked like this:

Khador-47 votes
Cryx-19 votes
Cygnar-10 votes
Retribution-10 votes
Menoth-8 votes
Mercs-3 votes

I took out the Hordes factions but Legion was voted the least complex Hordes faction, but Hordes is considered more complex in general. Again, there's really not a big sample size so I'm not sure what to take form it. Basically just an opinion from somewhere other than Findlay/Fostoria/Bluffton/France Very Happy

Splinter

Back to top Go down

Post  eJacob Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:14 pm

Greetings and welcome! I'm Jacob and I play Menoth and would of course recommend them to anyone and everyone simply because I think them the best and enjoy them greatly, however, under these circumstances I would have to agree with everyone else and recommend Khador. As everyone has stated they are relatively simple and very reliable/forgiveable. Who doesn't enjoy halving things with a giant axe?

Very much hope to see you guys at the next tournament. It would be a great opportunity for both of you to meet other players and see just about all the armies in action(Mercenaries excluded).

Farewell.
eJacob
eJacob
Admin

https://steamtank.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down