Steam Tank
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Observing Rules Mistakes

3 posters

Go down

Observing Rules Mistakes Empty Observing Rules Mistakes

Post  Devstro Tue May 15, 2012 11:26 pm

So what do you do when you are watching two other people playing Warmacine, and one of them makes a rules mistake that their opponent is unaware of?

Okay, so maybe I'm "that guy," but I point it out. I try to be cool about it though. I'll say something like "I know I am just a random bystander here at the game store, but can I comment about something I just saw in your game?" If they say yes, I point out the rules infraction. If they say no, I will follow up with "It is not about strategy or tactics, it is about a rules violation." If they still don't want to hear at that point, usually their opponent would like to know Very Happy . I think I'm being tactful, but then again, don't we all?

I'd like people to play the game correctly, to elevate the overall level of play. I've seen an increase in newer players, some of whom just seem to play...sloppy. Perhaps I should just let them, as it really doesn't immediately concern me at all. Maybe I am just being too pedantic, but the tightness and integrity of the Warmachine rules are one of the major draws to the game for me. Most other miniature games I have played seem to have an "Argument Phase," even though one is not mentioned in the rules.

So what do you do if you observe a rules violation happen in a Warmachine game you are not a part of?
Does it matter if it is a tournament or casual play?
Does it matter if it is a major infraction or a minor one that would not likely affect the outcome of the match?
What are your thoughts?

For the record, if anyone sees me playing a rule incorrectly, please speak up immediately. I'd really like to know so that I can learn and become a better player.
Devstro
Devstro

Back to top Go down

Observing Rules Mistakes Empty Re: Observing Rules Mistakes

Post  GregB Wed May 16, 2012 7:28 am

When on tournament, I let the TO act. Eventually, if the rule violation changes the game, I will tell the TO to check on this table.

When on casual play, I would interfere like you do. It helps that I'm the local PG here but even when I'm not I will do it. Rules are the true pleasure of this game. playing without them is like playing another game. So if they don't want to hear I won't insist, but I will always ask.

Me too, I like when people tell me I'm doing something wrong. I know the rules but sometimes in the heat of the action I forget or mix one with another. And a friendly reminder is always useful. Smile
GregB
GregB

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Aletheia Wed May 16, 2012 1:48 pm

I always say something. I hope that everyone would do the same to me and help me learn.

I honestly believe that 9/10 times, people act honestly and are trying to play the game correctly as they understand it. This game has so many exceptions, questions about time, etc., that playing a "perfect" game is really difficult.

Also, just because learning a new rule might disadvantage you in one game, you probably will get massive payoff for it in later games. For example, last game John learned that Free Strikes get a +2 bonus to the attack. That put him slightly at a disadvantage in that particular game, but will really help his unit-heavy lists later on.

Personally, I've been playing since 2004 and I'm still learning. Actually, old timers such as myself seem more apt to make mistakes because we still have a lot of MK I rules rattling around in our heads. So, yeah, if I'm doing something wrong I certainly want to know about it.

Dark Aletheia
Dark Aletheia

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Aletheia Wed May 16, 2012 1:51 pm

It's also worth nothing that the full rulebook and the mini-rule book have really excellent indexes (unusually good for game books) and are worth consulting on a regular basis. Even if I have the slightest doubt about a rule, I take a few moments to look it up. Obviously, this can't happen too often under the time constraints of a tourney, but it is at least worth asking the TO.
Dark Aletheia
Dark Aletheia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down