Steam Tank
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Medium based multi-wound infantry

4 posters

Go down

Medium based multi-wound infantry Empty Medium based multi-wound infantry

Post  Devstro Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 pm

So lately I have been using the Ogrun Assault Corps. They are the first medium based multi-wound infantry models that I have ever had the pleasure of fielding. So far I have been really impressed with their survivability. The last game I played was against a pKruger list that could cast Chain Lightning 5 times a turn. Not a single Ogrun died, despite repeatedly being struck by lightning (the Longgunners didn't fare as well). It was nice to play with models that didn't just die when they took a damage roll that exceeded their armor.

It is my perception that on the internet, medium based multi-wound infantry are often maligned (with perhaps the exception of Bastions). THe Ogrun Assault Corps are allegedly horrible, I've never seen anyone use blighted Ogrun, Man-O-War units seem to be panned, I've never heard a Cryx player even mention the Black Ogrun boarding party, etc... There is a guy here locally that runs Tharn Ravagers with some sucess. I'm not familiar enough with Skorne or Trolls to know how their medium based multi-wound models are received.

Does anyone else use medium based multi-wound infantry. If so, what are your experiences? If not, why not?
Devstro
Devstro

Back to top Go down

Medium based multi-wound infantry Empty Re: Medium based multi-wound infantry

Post  Swampgater Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:56 am

Gatormen posse all the way. Not that ive really got much choice with only bog trogs and posse as troop choices. Still the posse are possibly the best stand alone heavy infantry in hordes with skornes centrati coming a close second.

Posse have a great stateliness. 12 defense that they can self pump to 13 and adds terror to boot. Not super high by itself but enough to ensure a few missed attacks. Armor 16 that buffs to 18 in melee makes those eight damage boxes go along ways. Mat 7 with occasional rerolls and two melee attacks are gold. Speed 5 with bonus charge distance can give them a 12 inch threat range with their reach weapon.

The posse are in the rare position of loving almost any defensive buff. Bloody b's iron flesh spell makes them defense 16 which is where most models need to boost to hit. A properly built Maelok list can keep a whole posse covered with spiny growth adding 4 armor with his upkeep spell and animi. Throw in another two arm from feat turn for armor 24 in melee. The witch doctor loves giving them undead and tough.
Swampgater
Swampgater

Back to top Go down

Post  Legion of Hufferblight Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:14 am

I have a unit of blighted ogrun warspears for my legion. I dont use them very often, not out of spite or their stats or anything like that. I usually play 35 point games and I usually fill those up with warbeasts and cheap units.
On the other hand I also play khador and use the Man-O-War shock troopers. I love this unit. Armor 17 with 8 damage each. They also have shield wall that can push that to 21 armor. They become a tough nut to crack.
When it comes to medium based units though I take a full unit which cost more, but with a minimum unit of 3 (max 5) its hard to get any real use out of them.
Just my 2 cents.
Laters
Legion of Hufferblight
Legion of Hufferblight

Back to top Go down

Post  GregB Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:11 pm

I use the black ogruns in my Cryx pirate themed armies.

Most of multiwound medium based units have to face :
- a high cost.
- not being able to hide easily.
- not being numerous enough on the table.
- abilities that make them good everywhere but not terrific anywhere.

for example, the black ogruns boarding party is great. Their drag ability would be awesome but their RAT is mediocre and you need to combine to make them good.
You cannot drag bases bigger than you so you're limited to units and small warjacks/beasts. But the harpoon has such a high POW that units will die before even dragging them. And when you drag a small warjack, most of the time, you may not have enough P+S to break them significantly with your melee weapons.

So you have to find a use for them between all these. And their cost is the one of a Reaper which will do everything better. And then you have to know that for the same price you could take something so straight forward to use that you won't get a headache using it (like plenty of Bane thralls).
GregB
GregB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down